Pages

Thursday, October 20, 2011

New Model Ver. Meet Lana Del Rey

LANA DEL REY is the music name on everyone's lips: her first UK gig sold out in 13 minutes; Christopher Kane and Emilio de la Morena chose her music to accompany their spring/summer 2012 shows; and her debut single, the beautifully haunting Video Games, has already had over two million You Tube hits - despite only being released this week.

"I had no idea about the fashion shows," she told us. "But I think they chose Video Games because it embodies summertime sadness. Fashion is inspired by youth and nostalgia and draws inspiration from the best of the past. I think both the song and the collections touch on the light and the dark side of life."Perhaps surprisingly given her melancholic sound (described by the singer as "Hollywood sadcore"), American-born Del Rey is inspired by Elvis, Eminem, Frank Sinatra and Diamanda Galas. She admits her rise to musical stardom was almost accidental. "I was always singing, but didn't plan on pursuing it seriously," she said. "When I got to New York City when I was 18, I started playing in clubs in Brooklyn - I have good friends and devoted fans on the underground scene, but we were playing for each other at that point - and that was it."

With favourite labels including Chanel and Versace, and inspired by Sophia Loren and Johnny Blue Eyes, the 24-year-old has created a very individual look for herself - one she dubs "Ghetto Monégasque". Her bouffant hair, doll-like lashes teamed with blinging gold chains and vintage T-shirts have very much become her trademark. Born Lizzy Grant, the singer knows exactly how she wants to be seen - her chosen stage name another way of reflecting her musical identity.

"I wanted a name I could shape the music towards," she explained. "I was going to Miami quite a lot at the time, speaking a lot of Spanish with my friends from Cuba - Lana Del Rey reminded us of the glamour of the seaside. It sounded gorgeous coming off the tip of the tongue."

Lana Del Rey's first UK gig will take place on November 16 at Scala, London. resource http://www.vogue.co.uk

0 comments:

Post a Comment